Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Whale Sharking To Goodhue Thurston & Savona



A beautiful night: clear, dry, and cool (62 or 63 F) when I left from work about 5:50 PM. I wore a tee-shirt, jersey, jacket, and vest over my bib shorts. I opened up all the tops during the climbs. Curiously, they filled up with little gnat-like bugs. As I was riding, I thought "This is what it must be like for the whale shark cruising through the ocean with its mouth open filtering the plankton and krill into its mouth." Initially, I only opened my tops to my waist, so they bellowed a little and the tiny bugs collected on my tee shirt and inside the bellowing jacket, jersey, and vest. I took to unzipping the vest completely and narrowing the bellows of the jacket and jersey to keep from collecting so many bugs. Fortunately, they didn't seem to bite.

By the time I got back to my car, the temperature had dropped to 56 F, but zipping the tops all the way up was enough to keep me warm. My legs were producing enough heat to keep themselves warm, even my kneecaps. A beautiful Spring evening, perfect for riding.

After a little dinner, I am enjoying the endorphins and still feeling warm all over...

2 comments:

Alina said...

I checked out the blog, eagerly anticipating pictures of whale sharks!! Glad you had a good ride!

Marion said...

I must say your title had me curious also. Quite an analogy, I'm still thinking about it.