Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Remembering Utrecht with Oane and Nancy


(click for larger image)

Another historical post. This is getting to be a habit. I wanted to share two photos of our visit to Utrecht, when I visited the Riensema's in December 1981. I don't remember a lot, just that we drove there to visit Nancy and Oane and went out to breakfast at a waffle house along one of the many canals. In case it is not obvious, from left to right in the top photo: Kirsten, Marion, Alina, Nancy, Tamara, and Oane (I must have been taking the picture). In the photo below, Oane is taking the shot and I am on the right. Does anyone remember this trip?


(click for larger image)

I am taken now by the smiles on the faces. It was a cold, dreary, winter day, but I remember having a good time. This is how I remember Alina, with her stocking cap and winter coat. I was startled when I saw her again at Donny's wedding. That is Tamara in her coat with the Icarus and no gloves. I am wearing a shirt whose material I bought from Aunt Di's place and my grandmother sewed it into a shirt for me. Not sure why Marion took her gloves off (or perhaps she put them on) for the second shot. Perhaps it was really cold.


6 comments:

Oma/Marion said...

I remember the trip. I know Nancy had just met Oane probably the summer before and she came to Europe to get to know him better. She first came to our house in Belgium and you, Karl, were there too. I'm not positive but I think we drove Nancy to Utrecht that day and she stayed there. We indeed all went to lunch at a pancake house on one of the canals. Alina got one of her stomach aches and had to lay down for awhile before we headed back. She had this problem for years and we all thought she was putting it on but several years later she ended up having her appendix removed when on vacation in Tunisia with Luke.
The picture brings back a lot of memories.

CAPII said...

Dee and I visited ( we were living in Copenhagen and London) Marion and family in Belgium in the middle 70's and the next time in Loveland (early 80's) when we transferred Denver.

Fill me in on Nancy and Oane. Part of the Koch family?

Karl said...

Cap,
Nancy is Aunt Di (Aunt Mitzi's younger sister)and Uncle Bill Braithwaite's oldest child. She is a musician and lives in the Netherlands with her husband Oane, also in the music business - a conductor/composer, I believe - and their two children, Amarins and Tsjalling. She is therefore part of the Schlosser Clan.

You met Aunt Di (Dyllis) and Uncle Bill at Aunt Mitzi's memorial that weekend, as well as their youngest child, Nancy's sister, Ann.

Karl

CAPII said...

Dee remembers so much more than I when I when it comes to these things. She say she has another picture at Marions in Ghent and there were some other 'guests'there which could have been Nancy! I guess Luke and I were having a 'nip'.

She will will drag out her photo 'mess' in big baggies to see if she can find it. More later...

Anonymous said...

Karl when you are looking at the slide show from my site, if you mouse over faces do names pop up? I'm working with the face recognition feature of Picasa. Sorry to leave the comment here, but I didn't know how to respond directly to the comment you left.

Anonymous said...

I remember the trip as well - vaguely. I am struck at how happy Mom looks.