Friday, September 5, 2008

Waxing Nostalgic with Recollections of Brugge












We recently rented the movie "In Bruges" starring Colin Farrell, which is about a London hitman who is exiled to Brugge (the Dutch spelling), Belgium after a botched hit. It was a surprisingly fun movie given the subject matter and the serious nature of the plot. However, the real reason we rented it was that when I visited the Riensema's in December 1981, Tamara and I took a train to Brugge and spent the day there.

One of the highlights of the trip that I still remember fondly was when Tamara and I climbed the bell tower, which is about 120 meters high and offers tremendous views of the town and surrounding area. (Interestingly, the tower is prominently featured in the movie as well.) Tamara and I had not really been paying attention to the time as we enjoyed the view from the top of the tower and got treated to the deafening ringing of the bells at noon.

The other thing I remember about Tamara was that she was camera shy at the time. Though I felt bad, I am glad I coaxed her out from behind a tree where she was hiding. Hopefully, she can forgive me for it now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Guess this nostalga thing is catching. It's fun remembering old times. The pictures bring back memories for me too. I like this bloging thing because we're all geting reaquainted.

Anonymous said...

Wow!! I guess I didn't own a hairbrush at that time :-) I am sorry to say I do not remember the trip to Brugge at all. I do remember the jacket I was wearing though. It had a little Icarus on it.