Sunday, October 5, 2008

Naples - Honeoye & Canadice Lake Bike Loop


(Charlene and Robert before departure from the Naples High School parking lot)

Yesterday, two friends from work and I took a nice bike ride from Naples, New York. You can see the route by clicking on this link. If you do follow the link, be sure to click on the jagged arrow next to the printer icon to display the height profile of the ride (give it a few seconds to generate the profile). (Note added after post: I was able to paste in an interactive map of the ride at the bottom of the post). We managed 4600 feet of climbing in the 47-mile ride. I love riding my road bike, but there are so many more opportunities in our area for riding trail or mountain bikes, that I am starting to love riding my mountain bike just as much.

It was a cool partially cloudy day when we started riding just after 11 AM. About 2 miles into the ride, I was sure I had forgotten to lock the van, so we rode back to the start of our ride to discover that I had indeed locked it. Not sure why I was feeling so neurotic.

There were a couple steep climbs along the ride. One in particular that was especially satisfying started at mile 25 and went up Jersey Hill, climbing out of Honeoye Lake's basin. When we got to the top, we made a quick left then right turn and started up another hill. A person getting out of their car and heading into their house asked us, "Did you just come up that hill?" I replied "Yes, Jersey Hill." to which he replied "Awesome."

Near the top of that hill, my cassette (the collection of sprockets on the back wheel) seemed to be binding up. We all dismounted and began to investigate. Robert noticed that the cassette was not turning as it should. A small, plastic guard between the cassette and the spokes had somehow become damaged and was binding the cassette. We decided to excise the plastic guard, first with a screw driver from the small wrench set I carry, then with a cheese knife in Charlene's pack, only to discover that this piece of plastic was nearly indestructible. Charlene went up to a nearby house and the owner lent us pliers, diagonal cutters, channel locks, and a large screw driver, with which we were finally able to remove the plastic ring. It is ironic how the failure of this small plastic piece was sufficient to make the bike unridable. Fortunately, the bike was ridable without the small plastic piece.


(Mountain bike in the kitchen, before the plastic ring excision. It's an aluminum-frame Trek with a shock on the front wheel. Nothing too serious, as you can see by the kickstand.)

The ride past Canadice Lake was beautiful. It and Hemlock Lake to the west are part of the water supply for Rochester, NY, about 30 miles to the north. As such, there is no development in the surrounding area, so it is almost like a nature preserve. The lakes allow kayaks, canoes and row boats, but no motorized vehicles. So, it is especially tranquil. We stopped to look at the map and I considered taking a photograph, but when I went to cross the small wooded area between the road and the lake shore, I could see lots of poison ivy, which discouraged me from getting close enough for a nice shot.

From examining the map, we identified a challenging gravel hill headed out of the lake's basin. This is about mile 30 on the map. While the climb was short, it was particularly steep (I had to concentrate on keeping the front wheel on the ground, since each time I pushed on the pedal, the bike wanted to do a wheelie) and the loose gravel made balancing and traction challenging. I had to stop at one point and walked for 10 yards or so, until the incline became shallower and I could get back on and ride.

After that climb, we traveled south along a contour for a short while, then turned onto Luckenbach Hill Road to climb over the crest between Canadice and Honeoye Lakes. It was not a particularly steep climb, but I was starting to cramp up before the climb, so much so that when I was about halfway up, I had stop. I got off the bike, but could not find a comfortable way to stand, so I ended up sitting in the road for a few minutes until it seemed to go away.



After that, I sort of took it easy and slowly recovered to the point where I could just keep up with Charlene and Robert, but only just. The picture above shows the dirt road we came up, bringing us to the top of the ridge between the lakes. We rested a little there and some Fig Newtons were just the right nourishment to allow me to finish the ride.













Robert on the left examining the map. Charlene on the right with the critical Fig Newton nourishment. There was a picture of me too, but it was so unflattering that I refuse to post it. At this point in the ride the clouds were breaking up and it was mostly sunny, though after we descended from this ridge, the sun was behind it, so we were in the cool shadow. As Hope mentioned recently in her blog: when the sun is out, you warm up quickly even at 60 degrees, but as soon a cloud roles by or you go into the shade, it cools right off. Unfortunately, this may be the last such ride of the season. The cooler temperatures and shorter days make it difficult to spend the day riding.

Near the end of the ride, just south of Naples we came upon a view of a ridge containing a number of wind turbines. The turbines are quite controversial in the area. Some argue that the machines destroy the natural beauty of the area, others find them oddly alien and interesting and appreciate the renewable energy they generate.

(You may have to click on the image for a larger picture in order to see the wind turbines running across the ridge in the photo).






6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice ride, and nice pictures. I need to get back on my bike!!

CAPII said...

OMG. I can barely make my daily 3 mile fast walk arround the Rec Center track (arthritis in the knees); however, I envy you guys. I remember the geology days when I could hike up and down the Sierras with out any problem.
Shea, ref. Chili cookoff, is a bike rider as well. His bike cost several thousands of $$. 43 years old though.

Miss Hope said...

I feel good when I do 4-5 miles on the virtual bike at the YMCA; I'm tired just reading about your journey! Glad you enjoyed your ride, pretty soon it will be the virtual bike or nothing till spring.

Anonymous said...

Looks really nice Karl! I will get Carl with a C over there yet.
Last week I had a business trip in Slovenia and Carl was on days off so he came along. He rented a mountain bike for the 3 days that I was working and had a great time exploring around. The Austrian Alps are visible from Ljubljana, so there were plenty of hills for him to climb. He met a guy who organises bike/hike trips, so we might go back. He had a great time while I was working, and it was nice for me to have some company in the evenings.

Miss Hope said...

I'm curious about the pronunciation of Honeyoye. In my mind it is said Hone - yo - yee which to me sounds Asian of some sort. Please advise of the actual pronunciation...

Karl said...

I apologize for misspelling it originally, it should be Honeoye and is pronounced: Honey - oye, where the second syllable is said like the first syllable of Oy Vay! or the second syllable of Ahoy! It translates as "where the finger lies."

Candadice is pronounced: Can-uh-dice, where the third syllable is pronounced like the little white cubes with black dots that are used in craps. It translates as long lake.