Thursday, August 21, 2008

Keuka Means Canoe, Not Kayak, Landing

Yesterday, our friends stopped by and dropped off their deep lake canoe for us to use. I had spent quite a few summers paddling my Uncle Robert's canoe in Connecticut on the lakes and rivers there. I had become proficient at paddling alone, with others, maneuvering the canoe with great control, loading and unloading the canoe from the car top, and launching and beaching the canoe. I recall once when some friends from graduate school and I went up to a cabin on a lake in New Hampshire, I was very pleased with myself when I showed them how to get into the canoe while swimming in the water, maneuver the canoe in windy weather, and a general proficiency at controlling the canoe.

So, when we delivered my friend's canoe onto the beach here at Keuka Lake, I figured I would take it out for a "shake-down" cruise before taking Erik for a fishing expedition, fully expecting to display that "general proficiency." Well, I got about 5 feet off shore with the empty canoe and began a J stroke to turn the canoe to the right, when I felt the canoe pitch. I swiveled my hips, but the empty canoe quickly rolled to the point where I simply fell out into the water. Needless to say, I did not display the "general proficiency" I had hoped. Maybe canoeing is not the same as riding a bike. After retrieving the canoe and emptying it, Erik was happy to go out in the kayak again.

No comments: